Applications are currently being taken to become a United Way Lunch Buddies Mentor! The United Way of Northeastern Minnesota’s Lunch Buddies Mentoring Program currently serves grade school students at Cherry School, Keewatin Elementary, Merritt Elementary, Northeast Range School, and Vaughn-Steffensrud Elementary who would benefit from additional support, encouragement and a positive & caring adult mentor.
- Serve as a positive role model and guide
- Focus on building a positive relationship with the young person
- Supporting the young person through an ongoing, one-to-one relationship
- Participate in school-based activities together
- Help identify and encourage mentee strengths
- Make a school-year-long commitment (October-May)
- One lunch break/week
- Must be able to attend the majority of meetings. In the event that you are unable to attend a meeting you may notify UWNEMN to pair your mentor with a temporary replacement.
- Communicate monthly with the program specialist
- Attend an initial 1.5 hour training session
- Attend optional mentor/mentee group events and program recognition events
- Is interested in being a positive role model for a young person
- 18+ years of age
- Have transportation to the school where you are mentoring
- Complete the screening procedure
- Agree to attend mentor trainings as required
- Pass the criminal background check
- Be willing to disclose and/or discuss any mental, chemical, or physical health condition which may impact your role as a mentor
- Access to internet with an email account
Become a United Way Lunch Buddies Mentor and be a positive influence on the youth of our community! If you would like to know more about UWNEMN, the program and other programs that they run visit their website. And if this is something you are interested in you may apply now! Applications are due on October 10th.